included a IT being observ'd that the Poor are very numerous, and cost about 800 l.to the Parish annually for supporting them; Two honourable Gentlemen of the Town offer'd to build a commodious House for Lodging and Dieting all those Poor, provided the Parish would consent to dispose of their Weekly Allowances under such a Management, as might, with the Produce of their Labour, wholly maintain them.THAT there be kept four Books (viz.) A Day-Book, a Weekly-Book, and a Monthly-Book, to enter Provisions received in the House, and a Book to enter all Tradesmen's Bills, and Extraordinaries paid by the Overseers, to be brought to Account Monthly. THE Monthly Book is kept in the same Method as the Weekly.THAT such Orders be set up in the House as shall be appointed by his Majesty's Justices of the Peace, the Gentlemen of the Committee, Church-Wardens, and Overseers of the Poor, for the better Regulation of the House. AN Apothecary attends the Sick with proper Medicines at 15l. A School-Mistress belonging to the House teaches the Children to read. The 1732 edition of the Account also recorded that a workhouse was erected in Deptford in 1726.THE Weekly Bill of Fare for this House is much the same as in other Places. By May 1729 there were 70 inmates in residence, including 26 children who were all "decently lodged, fed, cloathed, and taught." In 1753, Greenwich promoted a parlimentary Local Act (26 Geo.2 c.101) to place administration of poor relief into the hands of a Board of Guardians elected from the local ratepayers.THE House Expences for one Week, when 90 were in Family, was as follows. The 1723 workhouse proved inadequate for the demands placed on it and in 1765 the Greenwich Guardians began renting land off Maidenstone Hill occupied by a building known as the Pest House.
Accordingly, this Summer, a commodious House has been built near the Church, at the Charge of the Honourable Gentlemen aforesaid ; and at Midsummer, all such Poor, as receiv'd Weekly Pensions from the Parish, were admitted into it, to the Number of 900 odd, and are at present employ'd in the picking of Oakum, winding Silk for Throwsters, Spinning Jersey, and such other Work as they are capable of under Mr. THIS Undertaking being its Infancy, it does not yet appear what will be the Success of it ; but one good Effect it has already had, viz.
The architect, RP Browne, later described his design as as 'plain but cheerful and almslike'.
Greenwich Woolwich Road workhouse from south-west, 1844.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] Greenwich's first parish workhouse was opened in 1723, next to St.
Alphege's Church, In 1725, the first edition of An Account of Several Workhouses...